For meal prep: You can either prep this entire recipe OR only prep the potatoes and beans and cook the rest at lunch time! Up to you.
Veggie Fajita Tacos (FULL RECIPE)
3 Red Potatoes (can be substituted with sweet potatoes, or other)
1 can of black beans (no/low sodium-especially for those with hypertension)
1/4 of a Purple onion
½ of a Poblano pepper
2 cloves of Garlic
½ of a lime
Spices (optional): Cayenne, paprika, cumin, turmeric, black pepper
1/8 red onion
Mushrooms (Approx. 4 baby bella or 6 white)
1 Squash (yellow or green)
Approx. 6 Tomatoes (Grape tomatoes are my preference)
1 clove of garlic
Vegetable broth (LOW SODIUM)
Any seasonings you’d like
Red cabbage (for crunch)
THIS PORTION SHOULD BE MEAL PREPPED IF POSSIBLE
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel and chop potatoes into small cubes, approx 1 in. or less and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop onions and peppers into strips or small cubes and place into the bowl with the potatoes. Mince garlic into the bowl. Add 1 can of rinsed black beans into the bowl.
- Squeeze ½ of 1 lime over potato mixture and season well. (Cayenne, paprika, cumin, turmeric and black pepper). Mix well.
- Place potato mixture onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Place in the oven and leave for approximately 15 minutes. Flip mixture and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Chop approx 1/8th of your red onion into small pieces. Rinse mushrooms in cold water and chop them into small pieces. Rinse and cut grape tomatoes in half or fourths. Rinse and chop squash into small pieces.
- Put a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add approx 4 tbsp of low-sodium Veggie Broth to the pan. Add purple onion and press/mince 1 clove of garlic into the pan. Saute until fragrant, approx. 30 seconds
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan. Add any seasonings that you would like at this point. Saute for approx. 5 minutes. If at any point the pan dries up, add a little more broth. Do not put too much broth, use it as you would an oil.
- Add squash to the pan. Saute until desired tenderness is achieved.
- Rinse cilantro and purple cabbage in cold water
- Chop both into tiny pieces
- Mix in a bowl and add lime juice to taste
- Chop your avocado into small bite sized pieces
Add all ingredients into a tortilla and enjoy!